How to Renew a Thai Driving License
Foreigners driving in Thailand are required to hold a Thai driver’s license which come in 2 and 5 year versions. First, you do not have to apply for a 2-year license before obtaining the 5-year driver’s license in Thailand.
You can apply for a driver’s license at the Department of Land Transport (Chom Phon 1032 Phaholyothin Road, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900) which is a 10-minute walk from BTS Mo Chit Station. They are open from Monday to Friday, between 8.30 AM and 4.30 PM. We recommend that you avoid lunch time and early morning queues for first time applicants. A translator is ideal to avoid bad surprises.
- A temporary Thai driver’s license
- A valid passport
- A valid Non-Immigrant Visa
- A work permit OR certified letter of address from the applicant’s embassy or the Immigration Bureau (the document cannot be older than 30 days)
- 2 photographs, 1×1 inch and not older than 6 months. We recommend that you use the photo service on the premises, so there won’t be an issue about how old the pictures are
Here’s what you have to do:
- At the driving license application window, request a driving license application form.
- Fill out the form
- Get your photographs taken for under 100 baht
- Verify the information with the officer at the driving license application window
- Make copies of the following pages in your passport: the first page, the visa stamp page, the last entry stamp page, and the page with the last visa extension (if applicable)
- If you have a work permit book for address verification, copy the following pages: the first and second page, the page with your employer’s address, and page 23 if you had a changed address listed
- Present all your documents to the officer at the driving license application window and receive a queue number with your documents returned to you
- When your number is called or shown on the screen, submit your documents with your passport and work permit (if applicable). Your passport will be returned to you and you will be asked to pay a fee of 505 baht for which you will be given a receipt.
- When your name is called, sign the back of the driving license and the receipt
- Laminate your new license at the laminating shop.
The expiry date of your new license will be five years from the day you receive the license.
At Thai Driver’s License Service, we understand that your time is valuable and would like to offer our expertise in obtaining Thai driver’s license to make you life easier. For more information click here.